Thursday, July 21, 2011

Talking Bread




Bread Recipes?  This time of year is not the time of year to be baking bread in my house.  But I was talking bread today with my sister in law, Cari ( mysixpack)  and thought I would post a few recipes.  (These pictures are not mine, thank you google images!) 

(supposed to taste like Outback's bread!

Dark Honey  Wheat Bread
1 1/4 C. water
2 t. sugar
2 1/2 t. yeast
2 C. bread flour
1 3/4 C. whole wheat flour
1 T. cocoa powder
1 t. salt
2 T. softend butter
 1/4. C. honey
2 T. molasses
**add this coloring to the mix to really darken the dough
1 1/4 t. red food coloring 1 t. yellow food coloring 1 t. blue food coloring

This dough makes 6 small loaves.  Bake at 350-400 for 35 minutes or until bread tests done.

**I proof my yeast in a bit of warm water, with sugar or honey and let set about 5-10 minutes.  I measure my dry ingredients into my food processor with the dough hook attachment.  When yeast is ready I add it to the flour.  Put on food processor lid and turn to ON.  Then I stream in the warm water.  I let the dough mix until it pulls away from the sides of the bowl and looks incorporated.  I Set my dough in a large bowl that has been coated with oil and set it, covered in a warm place to rise until double.  Then form my loaves, place in pans and let rise again.


( Haven't tried the following recipe.  If I was making it, I'd use half whole wheat flour and half bread flour.  I find using all whole wheat makes the bread very heavy.)



Honey Oat Bread


4 1/2- 5 1/2 C. whole wheat flour
3 pkg. yeast
2 c. milk
1/3 C honey
1/4 C. oil
2 t. salt
 1/2 C quick oats
---------
Mix egg and water together to brush on top of loaves before baking
1 beaten egg white
1 T. water
Garnish top of unbaked loaves with a sprinkling of oats

Bake 375 degrees 35-40 minutes
Breadsticks - Pizza Hut Style. Photo by Chef #923419
Pizza Hut Style Bread Sticks

1 1/2 C warm water
2 T. sugar
1/2 t. salt
1/2 C. nonfat dry milk
1 T. yeast
3 C bread flour
1/3 C. melted butter

Combine all ingredients in food processor with dough hook attachment.  Combine until dough pulls away from sides of bowl and dough is combined.  Roll dough out onto floured surface, shaping to pan size.  (I used a  9X13)  Spread  half of the butter onto the bottom of pan.  Lay crust on butter layer.  Cut into sticks  Spread with remaining butter.  Top with garlic, salt and parmesean cheese to taste.  Let rise 10-15 minutes.  Bake 400 degrees 15-20 minutes until golden.  Serve with heated marinara sauce.


5 comments:

  1. YUMMY!   I bake bread year round - thanks to my bread machine   The honey oat recipe is very similar to the recipe I make most often - using 1/2 wheat - 1/2 white flour.    The bread sticks look wonderful, I will have to give them a try - thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @MOM2_4 - I don't have a bread machine yet.  I really do like my little food processor though.  I mainly use it for dough!  When the weather cools this fall, I can't wait to make more bread and pizza.  My house just heats up terrible using the oven!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @betheelou - My house heating up was one of the main reasons I wanted a bread machine.  An added benefit is I can put everything in and it does the work.  We get homemade bread with minimal effort, which with my schedule means we GET homemade bread.   Here in Japan whole grain bread is very expensive and still has additives.  I can make it for less with no additives - the bread machine makes this possible on a daily basis rather than a hit or miss basis.

    ReplyDelete