Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Okra, It's What's For Dinner


My garden is doing very well this year.  My Wonderful husband put an automatic waterer on it.  I'm just now starting to get tomatoes.  The collard greens are turning out wonderful.  We planted melons, squash, and pumpkins recently, those are growing very well in the old tires we got for them.  I planted Okra from seed to try this year.  We've tried it several ways in the past and discovered the only two ways we like to eat it are fried and in a chicken gumbo.  Tonight we are having gumbo for dinner, planned just around the ripening Okra.


I've got some amazing beets this year as well, almost the size of a dinner plate.  My Wonderful husband and I really like to eat the beet greens.  I wilt them with a bit of olive oil, garlic and  then hit them with a splash of balsamic vinegar.  YUM!  The beets are also very good in the juicer.  They make very sweet juice.  We've also been enjoying them pickled.

One of our favorite summer dinners is grilled chicken and fresh grilled zucchini and summer squash.  I marinate the chicken in italian dressing all day.  Drain the dressing and then throw the chicken on a hot charcoal grill.  The zucchini has been extra tasty on a kabob with fresh, green onion segments.


That's my helper.  School is over for the season.  I've hired him to pull weeds and pick up poo today.  His payment was $5.00 worth of HALO figurines.  I just made him a concoction of vinegar in a spray bottle to go and spray on some of those pesky weeds.  It must be fun, I haven't heard a peep out of him for almost a 1/2 an hour!

 Doesn't the garden look good?
 The above picture . . .is my Black Diamond Watermelon.  It is one of my favorite things to eat when I visit Kansas City, Missouri in the summertime.



 This one will be a Moon and Stars melon.  It will be a deep green skin with little yellow stars, just like these leaves.


 Not sure what the yellow flowers are.  They are part of the wildflower seed mix I scattered in the wells we dug last summer for Palm trees.  The gophers got most all the palms.  The flowers make it look really pretty around the garden.

The Bachelor Buttons are blooming in all sorts of colors . . . pink, light blue, dark blue, purple.  they are one of my favorites.  These don't seem to smell.  I thought I remembered Bachelor Buttons with a heavenly smell?


. . . And the Ledford Lizard Farm is lively with young baby lizards.


Tonyas' girls love to play with my old Barbies when they come over.  Sammie puts them on the fireplace hearth and makes them a cozy home.  She dresses them up and pretends with them.  Her little sister Alex wants to do everything her big sister does.  It is fun to hear them play with my old things. Last week I invited Julianna (our pastor's daughter) to come and entertain the girls while I babysat 1/2 a day for Tonya.  They all had fun, just don't feed them beet greens :-)


Alex



 Julianna and Sammie


 Settling down with Lego Friends on Netflix while waiting for Momma to pick them up.


Two last things.  My Wonderful husband bough himself a new toy.  (Someday we will have to discuss boys and their toys . . .)

 A Weber Octave Mandolin.  It sounds like a guitar.


And to cement his status as MOST WONDERFUL HUSBAND, he bought me a canoe hauler. 
(AFTER he ordered his Octave Mandolin!)



This is how I thanked him. . .




Have a great week!


No comments:

Post a Comment