Monday, September 29, 2008

Cooking

 On my recent trip to Tennessee I bought some very cool bowls.  I have wanted to make French Onion Soup.  The bowls I bought were perfect!  I'll post my recipe but I did change a few things!

blog12 001

French Onion Soup

8 Onions, sliced

2 cloves garlic, minced

3T. olive oil

2 T. flour

8 C. beef stock

1/4 C. dry white wine **

1/2 t. dried thyme **

1 bay leaf

salt and pepper

1 loaf french bread, sliced 3/4 inch thick

2 C. grated Gruyere **

Saute the onions and garlic in oil, over low heat, until tender and golden yellow. Sprinkle flour over onions and cook a few minutes more, browning the flour well.  Add stock and wine bring to a boil, add thyme and bay leaf.  Reduce heat, cover, simmer gently for 20 minutes or so.  Add salt and pepper to taste.

Meanwhile slice bread to 3/4 inches and butter both sides.  Toast slices in saute pan, broiler, toaster griddle until toasted on both sides.  Ladle soup into oven proof bowls, add toasted bread and cover with cheese.  Place ovenproof bowls on baking sheet covered with foil.  Bake at 350 degrees until cheese is melted and golden, or under broiler until cheese is melted and golden, about 5 minutes.

**  (We do not drink alcoholic beverages.  I substituted 12 oz. sparkling apple juice plus 1 t. vinegar for the dry white wine.)

**  (I used 1T fresh thyme instead of dry.)

** ( Gruyere cheese is made in Switzerland.  I substituted Swiss cheese for the Gruyere.)

I made a big pot of this and I am positive it will be better when the flavors blend after it has cooled and been reheated.

blog12 002

I served the soup with a big salad bar.  Pictured are butter beans, tomatoes, peas, pickled beets, garbanzo beans, baby corn, and croutons.

I left the broiler door open after melting the cheese on the soup.  While it was cooling, Shadow the cat came to investigate.  I was warm and dark and she was about ready to crawl inside when I snapped the first picture.

blog12 003

blog12 004

 

5 comments:

  1. Your bowls look like fun! There are a zillion possibilities they could be used for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that the world renowned poppyseed dressing I see there in your salad picture?  Good thing you didn't have baked cat for dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am going to copy this recipe! sounds so yummy...and your menu ^^^ looks so pretty too! you and your sister seem to be really good with food!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @down_onthefarm - Did I already say, you can get to my reipe list from my main xanga page?  There are a ton of recipes there.  Yes, my sister is a good cook as well!  I think she cooks healthier than I do.  All four of us children can cook pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yep! found it! but thanks for making sure that i did! HaPpY Monday!

    ReplyDelete