Friday, November 28, 2008

Family Traditions

 

Thank Week3 001  

Thank Week3 002

The past 6 years or more, we have enjoyed assembling Gingerbread houses.  After they are decorated the houses become part of my Christmas decorations.  This year I thought it would be nice to include Grandma in how we prepare for Christmas.  She will help us assemble houses today.  Next week we are going to decorate for Christmas ( a tree and all!) before she has to leave to go home.

Thank Week2 013

Thank Week2 015

Thank Week2 016

(Okay for all you betheelou readers who think I am Martha Stewart, Susie Homemaker or Bethee Crocker... I am NOT!   I PURCHASE my gingerbread houses kits and we assemble them.  This year, we didn't even have to mix the frosting!  Wonderful!  I know myself pretty good.  I have established that I do not have enough patience to whip up a batch of gingerbread, cut out shapes, bake the shapes, throw a great royal icing together, and assemble all the pieces knowing they turned out to the contractors specifications.  I know that sounds like too much work!.  I DID try using graham crackers last year.  It wasn't pretty!  Don't use graham crackers in a home heated with wood heat!"

We also made cinnamon ornaments for our tree today.  That was FUN!  #2 son was having a blast.  It was like playing in the mud. 

Thank Week2 008

Thank Week2 012

 

Recipe~ 1 C. Ground Cinnamon, 3/4 C. to 1 C. prepared applesauce.  Mix in medium size glass bowl, mix with wooden spoon until thick dough forms.  Roll out onto a cinnamon covered board until about 1/4" thick.  Cut out shapes with cookie cutters.  Make holes with a straw to insert ribbon through after they are dry.  Bake on a cookie sheet, 2 hours at 200 degrees until almost dry.  Remove to wire rack or wax paper.  Allow to completely dry, (mine are still not hard, maybe a few more days.)  Thread about 6" ribbon through hole, knot it, hang on Christmas tree.  If the scent wears off in future years, may add 1 drop of cinnamon oil to each ornament.  Pack well between seasons.  They will be fragile.

 

5 comments:

  1. You know you are Susie Homemaker, even if you don't make homemade gingerbread...you've got everything else down!!  I made those cinnamon ornaments when we lived in Springfield and still have most of them.  If you add glitter to the "batter" it gives them a nice sparkle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My older children still remember when you made graham cracker "ginger bread" houses! That was quite a memory maker back in St. Helens!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Bethee Crocker describes you pretty well.  That is a compliment you know!  We made those gingerbread houses last year at home and at church and it was a lot of fun.  Even the adults got into the contest and made some really neat ones.  The kids all had a blast with it.  One of these days I will have to post some of the pics and show you the winning travel trailer, it was really cool.  ~ DJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your gingerbread house and turkey looks delicious, especially the turkey. I plan to make gingerbread houses with the kids for the first time this year -- start some family tradition as well.  Now, do you just display the gingerbread house and then throw it away?  I guess I will purchase a kit instead of slaving all day in the kitchen making the 'parts'.  We got your newsletter and photos, Adam and I enjoyed reading them; especially about Scully.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Beth, your Thanksgiving food looks really yummy! Thank you for the recent photos you mailed, we will show them around at LBC. We had our Thanksgiving service Wed. night even though we were misssing a lot of our members. Gary had to leave early as he was coming down with a virus that caused him to have to wait on Thanksgiving food until late Friday. We all miss you guys, glad you are doing well in the City.Have a very Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete