Tuesday, January 27, 2009

My Week So Far

 

I was feeling domestic yesterday.  After taking #1 one son to college, #2 son and I went to the store for a few things.  When I got home I started a marinade for making Fried Chicken and started Collard Greens in the slow cooker.  On the recommendation from my sweet friend autumnlove413 , I made the Rosemary Bread that tasted like the bread we had on our date last week.  Here is the recipe and a few pictures~

Rosemary Bread

1 C. water

3 T. olive oil

1 1/2 t. sugar

1 1/2 t. salt

1/4 t. dried italian seasoning

1/4 t. fresh ground black pepper

1 T. dried rosemary

2 1/2 C. bread flour

1 1/2 t. active dry yeast

Place all ingredients in the pan of a bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer.  Select white bread cycle; press Start.

**Okay for those of you that know me and how I cook jessnboyz and onehappymomma ~ I fiddled with the recipe.  Yes sorry.  I do not have a bread machine, however I do have a food processor with a dough hook.  I used 1 1/2 C. warm water and added the yeast, dry seasonings, sugar, salt, and olive in a measuring cup gave it a quick stir and let it set while I chopped about 1 T. of fresh rosemary and then added that to the ingredients in the measuring cup.  In my food processor I added 2 cups bread flour (something about this flour is good to use with bread machines and makes it work with yeast better.)  I also added 1 C. whole wheat flour to my food processor then I pulsed it about 10 seconds and then added the wet ingredients and pushed ON until it started to come together and pull away from the sides of the bowl.  I did add a couple more shots of  whole wheat flour to stiffen the dough and then let it knead with the processor about 1 minute more.  I turned it out to a lightly floured board and kneaded for a few punches until it got smooth and round.  Then I placed the dough in a large bowl that was coated in olive oil and left it in a warm oven to double in size (about 1-1 1/2 hours)  Punch down let rise in warm oven 30 minutes more.  Turn to floured board and knead.  I then divided into four small loaves and put them on my pampered chef stone that had been sprinkled with a little corn meal  let rise 30 minutes and then baked at 350 degrees for 35 minutes or until golden and done feeling.**

blog pics VII 09 001

Notice that there are only 3 loaves.  We ate one while it was still hot and dipped our bite size chunks in olive oil seasoned with fresh ground black pepper and a little coarse salt! 

blog pics VII 09 002

That is the marinating chicken for my Frank's Red Hot Fried Chicken.

blog pics VII 09 003

Smoked turkey legs just pulled from the greens to pick the meat off the bones and return the meat to the pot of greens.

Remember I was talking about my little artist the other day?  Not sure if you can clearly see some of the pictures he is drawing or not.  We are totally amazed at how good some of the drawings are.  He has been drawing tanks, dragons, dinosaurs, guns, letters, numbers, hearts, robots, forts, Christmas Trees, snowmen, monster trucks and more!  According to his father, he gets this talent from his side of the family...NOT!  (I'll never let him live that one down!)

blog pics VII 09 004

blog pics VII 09 005

He is enjoying this new box of crayons.  Aren't they fun all sharp and pointed and pretty?!

 

3 comments:

  1. ok, I'm drooling over here!!  The bread looks so yummy - I'll have to try it.  Your famous fried chicken and collards~what time is dinner?   Ha Ha.  Enjoy your day

    ReplyDelete
  2. Collard greens in the crockpot?  I love greens but usually just fry them with bacon...how do you do it in the crockpot?  Do they get really slimey and overcooked in there?  The bread looks delicious, of course anything you make is always good!About the crayons...tell your little artist to stick his nose way into the box and inhale as big as he can and sniff up as much yummy crayon scent as he can and think of his aunt.  'Cause I would totally do that.Also, thank you for the words to the song.  The grace of God is something I still have so much to learn about.  I just feel so unworthy to recieve His grace yet He keeps on giving it.  Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never had collard greens; that's because I don't know how to cook them. Anyway, I can smell the rosemary bread from here. Yumm. 

    ReplyDelete