Friday, June 20, 2008

Life After Packing

Can you hear that?
 
It's quiet where I am.  Blissful, relaxing, restful and quiet.
 
The movers came on Wednesday the 18th.  One look around and the man in charge said, "We'll be done tomorrow around noon."
 
Whooppee, a three day job turned into a day and half.  All my efforts to have piles of this~ and piles of that 'organized' paid off for me.  We made a few phone calls.  One to the new renters stating they could have their new home a day early.  The other phone call to the bed and breakfast where we are staying finding out if we'd be able to come a day early.  Praise the Lord everything worked out.  Our household goods are all packed and crated and leave the our remote, rural Alaska island to head to storage in New Jersey, arriving around August 6th.
 
Now I sit in my comfortable, quiet room listening to crowing roosters and the cry of peacocks at the neighbors house.  The window is open and I can smell the sweet scent of a cottonwood tree, so pleasant. Can you smell it?
 
Yesterday after coming to the bed and breakfast #1 son and I emptied out the van and brought things into our rooms.  My manly man brought home pizza for dinner and by 6:30 p.m.  I was in bed looking at my new magazines.  Log Home Living, Tea Time, Country Sampler and Victorian Homes, eating a carton of a new flavor of candy, peanut butter flavored Whoppers.

blog 017

 
Today our host found out that I like to cook.  He told me he has a Rhubarb plant that needs harvesting. 
 

blog 002

 

blog 004

 So I made two pies.  I didn't really work to hard making them.    I went to the commissary and bought pre-made pie crust.  But I did come back and make the filling from scratch.  Rhubarb pie is one of my favorites if it is prepared the right way.  (My way!  ha-ha)  I like to use tapioca to thicken instead of flour.  I think it thickens better than flour.  I also do not add the full measure of sugar the recipe calls for so that the pie is tart.  YUM!! 

 
 

blog 012

 

blog 016

I also bought a few things so I can help prepare a few dinners.  Frozen chicken thighs to marinate in Italian salad dressing and then to grill on the barbecue.  Serve the chicken with roasted potato wedges.  (I will microwave the whole potato until almost done and then cut it into wedges.  Then I will toss them in a little dressing made from olive oil and a packet of  onion soup mix)  For a veggie we'll have stir fry green beans.  (fresh green beans, stir fried in olive oil with a little fresh garlic, salt and pepper.)  I'd also like to make Halibut Scalloped potatoes and Halibut Parmesan while I am here.
 
Tomorrow will be another relaxing day.  My manly man and I have plans to go ocean fishing with a friend from church.  (Thus the recipes using Halibut.)  I hope to catch a little one, enough for a couple meals.  Because of our long drive we can't take any with us.  I will surely miss the Halibut.  It is one of the best eating fish I have ever had.  The taste is magnified when it is fresh.  #1 and #2 sons will stay at the B and B while we are gone fishing .  #1 son has been hired (at $10.00 and hour!) to mow our hosts 2 acre property with a push mower.

blog 006

 
I also helped vacuum this morning...I guess I am not being totally  inactive.   I do have three books to read and those fabulous magazines to go through once more.  My manly man is repairing our hosts riding lawn mower, sounds like they have got it running and now need to change to blade.
 
 I just realized that I don't know how to copy pictures to my manly man's lap top computer.  I'll have to post the pictures later, when I receive the proper instructions!
 
Here is a free advertisement for our host "Gus", check out his web page www.kodiakrussianriverlodge.com
 
 
Here is a picture of # 2 son playing with the leaves from the Rhubarb. 
 

blog 003


3 comments:

  1. Ah, I miss my sister.  And her cooking.  I'm a good cook and I like my food but I love to eat your cooking best of all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Beffie girl,  Thank you for sharing your latest blog, wish I could be there with you to enjoy the pie.  Yesterday I was with my friend Joyce, she had blackberry pie she made just for me, right out of the oven and slightly cooled, it was so delicious I had 2 pieces.  Pray for her, she is having a hard time right now with some stuff, needs big time prayers.  She also gave me a big bunch of iris to plant in my little yard, big box full.I have a lot of yard work to do, just can't quite psyk myself up to do it this year.  No more knee work for me, so I will have to sit, and then getting up is a joke from behind.  Thank God I still can get up tho.  Did you catch Eli's lates blog, it is beautiful,  I try to encourage her to write and publish her photo's, I think she is that good, and it is not because she is my baby.I have not had time to write much, I have been working on something about forever friends, but it is not finished yet.  I keep all those in a notebook, maybe one day I will publish a book, who knows.God Bless you and yours, tell Aaron I appreciated his email the other day, he is getting so grown up and sounds so mature.Love and kisses to you all, Momeeeeeee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those pies look amazing!!! I have already had dinner & dessert tonight but just looking at your pictures & hearing all the recipies is giving me temptations to head back into the kitchen!! 

    ReplyDelete