(Cherry pie is one of my favorites. This looks like a good recipe using a canned cherry pie filling and tart cranberries. My mouth is watering already!)
Cranberry Cherry Pie
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- 2 cups cranberries
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- Milk and additional sugar
- In a large bowl, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in pie filling and cranberries. Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry; trim to 1 in. beyond edge of plate. Pour filling into crust.
- Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie. Cut slits in pastry or cut out stars with a star-shaped cookie cutter. Place pastry over filling; trim, seal and flute edges. Arrange star cutouts on pastry. Brush with milk and sprinkle with sugar.
- Cover edges loosely with foil. Bake at 375°for 55-60 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 6-8 servings.
(I'm going to try this recipe but substitute pumpkin for the sweet potato)
Sweet Potato Muffins
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 2 cups cold mashed sweet potatoes (without added butter or milk)
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons 2% milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar and cinnamon. In another bowl, whisk the egg, sweet potatoes and oil. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Fill greased muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 375° for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. In a small bowl, combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over warm muffins. Yield: 2 dozen.
(I love hashbrown casserole. This is a way to make more of a filling meal than a side dish. I can't wait to try this!)
Creole Beef Casserole
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (30 ounces) frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons Creole seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup crushed cornflakes
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- In a large bowl, combine the soup, sour cream, onion and pepper. Stir in potatoes and cheese; transfer to a greased 3-qt. baking dish.
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the ketchup, brown sugar and seasonings; spread over potatoes. Combine cornflakes and butter; sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 8 servings.