By request I am posting my Sour Cream Mennonite Chicken Recipe. This recipe was given to me by my sweet sister, onehappymomma. We like it with Rice A Roni but it would be good with wide egg noodles. I've seen other recipes for Chicken Paprika that are very similar to my recipe.
Sour Cream Mennonite Chicken
1/2 c. butter
2 t. salt
fresh cracked black pepper
paprika to taste
1/2 c. water
2 T. flour
1 c. sour cream
fresh chopped parsley
4 boneless, skinless, chicken breasts cut in half lengthwise
Melt butter in large skillet. In shallow dish (pie pan or plate) combine flour, salt, pepper. Stir to combine. Coat chicken with flour mixture dip in melted butter to coat all sides. Sprinkle each piece of chicken generously with paprika. Cook chicken in skillet on medium heat until chicken is browned. Remove from skillet, keep warm. Add water to skillet drippings, using wooden spoon, loosen brown bits from bottom of skillet. Meanwhile, blend 2 T. flour into 1 c.sour cream. Add sour cream mix to skillet. Blend well. Add a dash more paprika. Remove from heat. Add chicken pieces back to skillet. Spoon gravy over chicken. Sprnkle again with salt, pepper, parsley and paprika.
*this would be good with mushrooms added also!
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
- You can leave breasts whole or cut them up, whatever your preference. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and pan-fry until cooked through and juices run clear, about 10 minutes. Remove chicken from skillet and set aside.
- Using the same skillet, cook onion in butter until translucent but not brown, about 5 to 8 minutes. Season with paprika and salt. Pour chicken stock into the pan, and bring all to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer; mix flour with sour cream until smooth, then whisk into chicken stock. Place chicken in skillet; simmer until chicken is heated through and sauce has thickened.