Thursday, April 16, 2009

A Little Domesticity

 

 

blog XI '09 153

Sorry for not checking in yesterday.  The creative bug struck me and I had to do a project.  There is something about spring emerging and I start to think of strawberries.  In California strawberry season was February/March.  Any other place I've lived it is a bit later.  Iv'e been wanting to make strawberry freezer jam.  It has been on my mind for a couple weeks.  Do I save ANY money by doing it homemade? 

blog XI '09 157

Probably NOT.  I don't have strawberries in my yard.  I had to buy them.  I got them at Sam's Club.  At Wal Mart I found some really cool plastic lids made to fit on top of canning jars.  So I did not have to get the square plastic freezer containers.  I also had to buy pectin and sugar.  The jam turned out FANTASTIC!  It is pretty sweet but very tasty. 

blog XI '09 154

blog XI '09 155

The last time I tried to make freezer jam ( about 9 years ago...) it turned out terrible.  I wanted to be healthy, so I tried making it with no sugar, using juice to sweeten the berries and special pectin.  It ended up changing the color of the berries so it looked like a purple/pink/gray mess.  The flavor wasn't right either.  Neither of the big men in the house remembered my poor attempt at healthy strawberry freezer jam!

blog XI '09 158  

((In the freezer))

blog XI '09 159

Waiting for an eager mouth...MINE!!

 

15 comments:

  1. Oh boy, does that look yummy. I have never canned anything in my life, but this sure looks like fun. 

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummmm! It looks delicious.            Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful red strawberry delights! I live in the midst of strawberry fields and the picking has been intense -- we have a huge Strawberry Festival here in Ventura County every year in late spring -- they're getting ready 

    ReplyDelete
  4. We go and pick enough strawberries every winter (thats our season) to make enough strawberry jam for the entire year.  It actually does save money if you only have to buy the strawerries and the pectin.  I think we save something like $30 a year?  Every dine counts!  We also make our own yogurt and then take a spoon full of the jam and add it when we want to eat it.  It taste better than what we buy in the store!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE California!!  I am looking forward to our new friendship and seeing lots of your pictures of a BEAUTIFUL place!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @LaurieLH - Ha! My first message didn't go through...I LOVE California!  I look forward to our new friendship and seeing lots of your pictures of a BEAUTIFUL place!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @betheelou - Hi! Here's a link to photos of our area -- have you ever visited this area? 

    ReplyDelete
  8. @LaurieLH - We lived in San Diego for 3 1/2 wonderful years and were able to explore quite a bit of the state.  We have not been back since leaving in 2006.  But we are praying the Lord would return us there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @betheelou - love, love, love San Diego! My mom used to live in Vista and my family has spent delightful times at Seaport Village, Balboa Park, and the beaches 

    ReplyDelete
  10. i've never made strawberry jam, but i've been wanting to! they've already been in season here, but i could still get them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. looks so yummy! I have never canned anything either....I probably never will it looks like way to much work ;) But I bet it's totally worth it! Thank you for your prayers by the way! 

    ReplyDelete
  12. @mamaof2bugs - This was a lot easier, no processing of the jars in hot water.  The longest part was wahing and de-stemming the berries.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, it looks so yummy!  I remember canning salmonberry jam--what fun.  Have a good day

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beth, I have tagged you for a fun game of "Eights."  If you're interested in playing, just hop on over to my blog Portrait of My Heart and check out the game.  All of my facebook friends will probably be mad at me because I've been tagged on fb for these kinds of games and never have participated. LOL  They do take a lot of time, but I decided to do it and join in on the fun this time.  Love ya, DJ

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, that looks SO GOOD!!! I was looking at my canner yesterday. I too have never done ANY TYPE of canning. Our strawberries here are just now putting on some blooms. Was looking at dads yesterday while I was out there and I am so looking forward to them ripening!!

    ReplyDelete